1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed and chilled
1-1.5 cups fresh or frozen Klaassen Blueberries
⅔ cup blueberry jam
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
1 1/4 cups ground almonds
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Optional: sliced almonds, icing sugar for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Roll out two squares of puff pastry, placing one square on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cut four 1” thick strips from the second square. Using your fingers dipped in water, lightly wet the edges of the first square. Placing the strips around the edge of the square, pressing lightly to seal the layers together.
- Prick the bottom square with a fork (do not prick the edges) and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the pastry is prebaking, prepare the frangipane.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Add the extracts and eggs and stir to combine. Stir in the almonds and flour with a spatula until the mixture is smooth and combined.
- Remove the pastry from the oven and reduce the temperature to 375F.
- If necessary, push down the bottom layer of puff pastry with the back of a spoon or a spatula. Spread jam evenly over the bottom layer, avoiding the raised edges.
- Spread the frangipane batter all over the jam, keeping it inside the raised border. Push the fresh blueberries into the frangipane mixture in any pattern you like- and if desired, sprinkle all over with sliced almonds.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the frangipane comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before serving. If desired, sift icing sugar over the tart, or drizzle a simple glaze of icing sugar and heavy cream and allow to set before eating.