Get into the festive spirit with our fun take on this candy cane dough.
- 3 cups Klaassen Farms frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup softened butter
- 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. instant yeast
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 large egg
Vanilla Glaze Ingredients
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsps. hot water
- Place frozen blueberries in a medium bowl, mix in lemon juice, cornstarch, ½ cup white sugar and set aside for later.
- Heat milk in a small saucepan until it begins to bubble, then remove from heat. Mix in butter, stir until melted. Let cool to lukewarm temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 ¼ cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and mix well. Fold in water, egg, milk mixture until sticky. Add remaining flour a ½ cup at a time until dough is formed.
- Once dough is formed, turn onto a lightly floured surface, knead until smooth or for about 5 minutes. If dough is too sticky add flour a little more at a time as needed.
- Cover dough with a damp cloth and let rest for 10-12 minutes.
- Roll out dough onto a greased cookie sheet (or use parchment paper for easier clean-up). Form dough into a rectangle to fill out cookie sheet.
- Spoon out blueberry filling onto middle section of dough, about 2-3 inches wide.
- Using a pasty or pizza cutter, cut strips horizontally down each side of dough, just to the filling (roughly 3-4 inches wide).
- Begin folding sides over each over, braiding dough over blueberry filling and alternating left to right. Press down and seal. You can leave as is or form into a candy cane shape by stretching out to about 20” long and fold down to form candy cane shape.
- Cover and let rise for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly dust with white sugar, bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Let cool for 20 minutes and then drizzle vanilla glaze on top.
Vanilla Glaze Instructions
- Mix powdered sugar, melted butter, vanilla. Stir in water 1 tbsp. at a time until smooth.