Gluten Free Apple Pie
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup honey
3/4 cup coconut flour (sifted)
1/2 cup of diced up apples
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
Pie Crust Instructions:
- Place butter in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave until melted.
- Add eggs, honey, salt, lemon juice and apples. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into blender and blend on medium until smooth.
- In a large bowl whisk in coconut flour with blended goodness for 2 minutes.
- Knead dough for about a minute and then form a ball. If it is too sticky, knead in a little more coconut flour.
- Set aside 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of dough for topping later.
- Roll out dough between wax paper to form pie crust.
- Butter bottom of a 9-inch pie pan and place dough in pan.
- Prick bottom and sides of crust with a fork.
Tip: Coconut flour can be flaky to work with so don’t panic if your dough is not sticking like traditional wheat-based flour. Use a spoon or your thumbs to smooth out your dough in your pie pan.
5 medium-size apples peeled and diced (granny smith recommended)
1/4 cup of butter
1/2 cup of honey
1 tablespoon of coconut flour
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 table spoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of lemon
1/2 cup of brown sugar
Pinch of ground gloves
- Melt the butter in a pot on medium to low heat.
- Add the honey, lemon juice, apples, and spices.
- Stir the mixture to cover the apples.
- Add in the coconut flour and brown sugar and mix well.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until apples are starting to soften.
- Add in the vanilla extract and turn off the heat.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- While filling is cooling off mix 1/2 cup of brown sugar with remaining dough until mixture becomes crumbly, use a fork to break it up. Set aside for pie topping.
Bake the pie
- Preheat the oven to 350F°
- Spoon in the apple pieces into the pie crust.
- Sprinkle the filling with your pie topping of brown sugar and remaining dough.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Best served hot with a scope of Banter’s Ginger Snap ice-cream