Vegan Blueberry Pie
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup of blended bananas
1/4 cup honey
1 ½ cups of sifted coconut flour (we used Bob’s Red Mill)
Pinch of salt
Pie Crust Instructions:
- Place coconut oil in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave until melted.
- Blend up bananas into a smooth paste in the blender.
- Add bananas, honey, coconut oil and salt and stir well in a large bowl
- Mix in coconut flour until dough forms.
- Knead dough for about a minute and then form a ball. If it is too sticky, knead in a little more coconut flour.
- Roll out dough between wax paper to form pie crust.
- Butter bottom of a 9-inch pie pan and place dough in pan.
- Prick bottom and sides of crust with a fork.
Tip: Coconut flour can be flaky to work with so don’t panic if your dough is not sticking like traditional wheat-based flour. Use a spoon or your thumbs to smooth out your dough in your pie pan. The bananas in this recipe will make the dough more on the wet side but it will taste very yummy.
Blueberry Pie Filling
1/2 cup of real maple syrup
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of coconut flour
1 ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
4 cups of frozen Klaassen Farms blueberries (do not thaw)
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave.
- Add the maple syrup, lemon juice and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Stir the mixture and add in the coconut flour.
- Pour mixture over frozen blueberries and stir in gently.
Bake the pie
- Preheat the oven to 350F°
- Spoon in the mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.
Optional: Served hot with a scope of Banter’s Half Baked Brownie ice-cream